President Uhuru Kenyatta on January 22, 2019, issued a directive that all Kenyans be digitally registered by the government and issued with a Huduma identification number. To meet this directive all Cabinet Secretaries and Principal Secretaries were directed to monitor the activity. In this regard, PS Paul Maringa undertook a random inspection in Kirinyaga County.
- A total population of 617,805 is targeted in the county.
- At the time we visited 230,356 people had been registered. (within 22 days). This represents 76% of the target population.
- On average 14,000 people are now being registered per day.
The trends are increasing daily. The people are very responsive irrespective of their ages as witnessed in the long queues.
Centres visited in Kirinyaga:
- • Kangaita tea centre
- • Kerugoya Medical Centre.
Attended a baraza with the (local Leadership) Kirinyaga CC, DCC, Assistant Chief, County Commander of Police at Ngaru shopping centre.
- Population targeted in the county is 635,130.
- Number of people registered as at yesterday (24/4/19) are 240,046.
- The PS was accompanied by the County Security team. The County Commissioner, Deputy County Commissioner, County Head Prisons, Wildlife, Criminal Investigation Officer among others.
Centres visited in Embu;
- Huduma Centre Embu.
- Kangaru Market
- Majimbo centre
The turnout was high in the three centres visited.